How to color in adult coloring books? Coloring is an intuitive activity, so intuitive that even children easily take it up, but there may be a lot of options when it comes to your new coloring hobby that you may not be totally aware of. For example, what kinds of materials do you use when you take up coloring?
Well, coloring can be as simple or as complex as you would like, honestly. On the one end of the spectrum, there’s not much you need besides an image to color in and something to color it with, but let’s take a look at those two aspects separately and take a look at your options:
Things You Can Color
There are both a few traditional and a few more modern options that you can go with.
– Coloring Books. These are the more common choice and you can usually find them at a craft store, or for cheaper online. They’re easy and convenient, since all of your coloring pages are bound up and easy to take on the go.
– Printed Pages from the Internet. If you’re really cheap, or you simply want to color in images that are not available in the coloring books that you’ve found, you can simply print your own. Coloring hardly has to cost you anything more than the price of printing paper (or heavier card stock, since this will work better), as you can see.
Coloring Utensils that You Can Use
You have a few choices here, and each will give you a different effect and a slightly different feel.
– Crayons. If you like the smell of wax, you can use crayons to color, this will remind you about your childhood coloring joy, but generally these cause an imprecise look to your masterpiece. It can be fun to bring back the memories, but it’s hard to do any kind of detailed work and they have a tendency to snap in half if you get too enthusiastic and start pressing hard. A huge advantage is that they certainly are cheap and simple to use. There are much better options, though, like the ones listed below.
– Gel Pens. These are particularly good if you are looking for a coloring utensil that doesn’t require you to press too hard while you’re working. They result in a great, crisp look and the colors are vibrant, but the light motion required is still easy on your hands. Sometimes they are prone to drying out a little, but the ease of use can more than make up for it. Depending on the kind you get, they can also be a bit on the expensive side.
– Colored Pencils. The nice thing about colored pencils is that, just like regular pencils, it is easy to shade things and control how light or dark the shade is by simply pressing more or less hard. You can also blend colors in very efficiently compared to pens or crayons. The cost of these can vary, and you have choices ranging from your very dirt cheap “school supply”-type colored pencils, to more expensive, professional-level ones.
– Markers. Though markers are prone to drying out and bleeding, they can create very bright colors with very little physical effort on the part of your hands. You can also buy certain brands of markers that are blendable.
Well, there are some people who use crayons like their children might, but probably most adults who play with coloring books use colored pencils. This gives a cleaner sort of look to the lines, and you can actually end up creating some very attractive masterpieces. When you’re dealing with colored pencils specifically, you can use a lot of shading techniques, too, like:
You can blend your colors and make them pop using mineral spirits and other kinds of solvents.
As mentioned, you can vary the pressure that you use with colored pencils to shade your pictures and give them a more three dimensional look.
Using Varied Colors
One way to make the dark colors stand out is to use lighter colors over them, or vice versa.
Now, if you’ve decided that you’re going to use a coloring book (or a certain website with print outs), another thing you might want to consider is what sort of coloring book is best for you. To answer this question most effectively, ask yourself: For what reason are you primarily taking up coloring? Are you looking for stress relief? Are you looking to help yourself get focused? Are you looking for inspiration or spiritual enhancement?
Stress Relief and Focus
Many people take up coloring because of its ability to calm a person down and help them remain in the moment—”mindful,” in meditation parlance. By focusing on the simple task of coloring, it can free the mind. If you’re looking for this effect specifically, you may want to pick one of a myriad of mandala coloring books. Mandalas are geometric patterns that traditionally have spiritual significance and a calming effect on those who view them. Some people believe that they can also enhance creativity, so give them a try!
Lots of people post “affirmations” (inspirational quotes or statements) on their walls that represent goals they want to reach or healthy mental states that they want to adopt. How effective are they, though? If they simply become part of your habitual décor, you may not even see them after awhile. It’s much better to concentrate on an affirmation or inspiring statement as part of a task; you can do this by using inspirational quotes adult coloring pages that are filled with inspirational quotes intended to improve your life.
Feeding Your Spirit
Perhaps you want to be closer to a higher power—whichever god that may be for you—and you would like to get in touch with your creative side while perusing Holy Scripture. You can also buy coloring books that include verses from the Bible and other texts.
Reminding Yourself of Your Hobbies and Interests
Are you an animal lover? There are coloring books with different animal patterns. Do you like dogs and cats? You can find drawings of the two popular pets to color as well. There’s no shortage of different kinds of coloring books to have fun with.
Now that you’re aware of the basics, buy your first coloring book and materials, you can check out the recommended best seller coloring books and coloring materials in Happy Mom Happy Toddler Store, then give this simple hobby a try.